Simple DIY Homemade Dog Treats 2-Ways
So, it happened. I said it would never ever happen to me. I even used to roll my eyes at people that allowed it to happen to them... but now, here I sit- typing this post and I'm fully faced with the fact that I am now one of "those people". Those "dog-people". Those people who treat and refer to their dogs as their fur-children. The ones who (try to) take them everywhere, leave social gatherings early to get home to them and prefer their company over any human alternatives.
In all honesty I was actually already well aware of the fact that I've turned into one of those people. I knew it the day my husband and I went to Harris Farms to have our pick of the litter of miniature goldendoodle puppies. When we immediately fell head over heels in love with the little red boy biting at our ankles whom we later named Rogue (or Rogan if he's in trouble). I knew it the day we brought him home, and I knew it the day I made him his very own Instagram to share his ridiculously good looks with the social media world. I. never. stood. a. chance.
As I was concocting a batch of some no bake energy balls the other day, I looked over at my sweet pup and he was staring up at me expectantly with his usual "are you gonna give me some of that?" eyes... which got me thinking, and ultimately doing a little research. After reading a few homemade dog treat articles I realized I was using nearly all of the same ingredients for my own baked goods, so it wouldn't really take any additional effort to throw some treats on a cookie sheet and toss them in the oven!
Back to the fact that I most definitely do not consider myself the type of person who would ever take time out of their day to make food for their dog. Yet here I am, not only admitting I did, but sharing this fact with the whole internet. I do not even know myself anymore. Forreal- let me file this under 'Things You Said You’d Never Do That Now Bring You an Embarassing Amount of Happiness'. But man alive, I love that puppy something FIERCE.
Anywho, now that I've totally embraced that I'm "that dog person", I'll go about my merry way of converting all of you into those people too :) these treats are legit SO easy to make & stay good in the fridge for up to 2 weeks! I tried two different recipes and both were big hits!
Apple-Banana Pumpkin Bones
- 4 cups of Brown Rice or Oat Flour (gluten free)
- 1/2 Apple, 1/2 Banana, 1 cup of Pumpkin Puree
- 2 tbsp – 1/4 cup of Coconut Oil
- 1 1/3 cup of water
- 2 Tbs honey
- 1 egg (optional; I was out so I did not use one)
- Preheat Oven at either 250° (2-3 hours until dry) OR for quicker bake at 375° (35-45 minutes until firm)
- Blend/Puree the apple, banana and pumpkin.
- Mix it with the flour. Stir in the honey, egg, oil and water.
- Adjust water as necessary to make stiff dough.
- Roll out dough on floured surface to 3/8 thick
- Cut with cookie cutter of choice (found my bone cookie cutter at Wal-Mart); makes around 24 bones
- Let cool, give one to Sparky and pat yourself on the back for being the best pawrent ever!
3 Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Dog Treats
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup organic peanut butter (Natural is a must- no hydrogenated oils added)
- 1 cup flour (whole wheat preferably)
- ¼ cup water
- cookie cutter of choice
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large bowl, mash up the bananas with a fork
- Add the peanut butter, flour and water
- Mix until the dough forms. If the banana or dough is too sticky, add more flour as needed.
- Roll out the dough and cut into desired shapes
- Bake for 15-20 minutes on a non-greased cookie sheet. Bake longer for a harder treat
- Let cool, give one to Fido and watch them fall in love with you all over again!
I hope you enjoyed this post! Leave a comment if you ended up trying these or have any questions! Thanks for reading!